photo aziz english contes banner copy_zpss12rjytt.png
BREAKING

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

WAIT vs. AWAIT


Guys …. Anyway I’m gonna share little tips about 2 words that sometimes make us confused “WAIT & AWAIT”. Actually it’s simple right? We just need to add the “A” before “WAIT”. ^_^
So how is it different? Let’s try to find out!!!
Even though the words “wait & await” basically  mean the same thing, but they are absolutely have different in the usage.

AWAIT
     Await is transitive verb that must be followed by object, and sometimes the object that follows the word “AWAIT”  is abstract noun (not person).
Example:
I am awaiting your answer.
Gina wasn’t the only one awaiting her arrival
Did you await the signs?
You can’t say:
She was awaiting for me
I am awaiting you now
But if it uses the object as the object of person,  it can be such this form. But mostly it’s added with “will”.
Example:
We’re already here and will await you.
“I’ll await him outside,” Faris said.

WAIT
  Wait is intransitive verb (the verb that doesn’t need an object).
The usages:
1. Wait without the other additional words.
Example:
We have been waiting (we have been awaiting)
I waited (I awaited)

2. Followed by infinitive
Example:
I waited in queue to buy the cloth
We are waiting to hear from you

3. If it’s followed by an object, use the preposition “For” before an object.
Example:
I am waiting for you (I’m awaiting you)
They are waiting for her call. (they are awaiting for her call)
Otherwise, the word “await” doesn’t require a preposition “for”.
Example:
We are awaiting his call (we are awaiting for his call)

4. The word “wait” is usually used with duration.
I have been waiting for two hours

Thanks for reading guys. I hope that this lesson can help you. See you next time. ^_^
Don’t forget to leave comment.

About ""

Name : Faris Asyraf Zaini. He was born in Mojokerto - East Java - Indonesia. Motto "Don't Be Affraid To Make Mistake in the Process of Learning!".

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013 Azizstan English Club